Welcome to the
Our accredited internship is an accelerated 6-month program that prepares entry-level dietitians to function in a variety of settings including community, public health, wellness, private practice, management and health care.
Our concentration area is Technology in Health Promotion which focuses on preparing entry level practitioners to apply technology and the Nutrition Care Process in health promotion activities.
Interns are exposed to a variety of avenues to facilitate health promotion including:
- 13 weeks of medical nutrition therapy (MNT)
- 5 weeks of community nutrition (COM)
- 5 weeks of foodservice management (MGMT)
- We accept up to 80 interns per class or 160 total per year.
- Apply to the fall DICAS match for our January class which runs from early January to the end of June.
- Apply to the spring DICAS match for our June class which runs from early June to the end of November.
- Set up your supervised practice wherever you choose - where you are already established or where you’d ultimately like to work.
- Every class starts with a one-week, required Professional Skills Workshop in Ames, Iowa.
- Choose an optional international rotation in Ghana, Africa or Paris, France.
- Upon completion, your 15 Internship graduate credits can go towards ISU's new Master of Professional Practice in Dietetics.
Watch our Virtual Open House
By the numbers
- Historically, 95 percent or more interns successfully complete the program and around 90 percent pass the exam.
- Of the interns who responded to a survey, 99 percent had found employment in dietetics within 12 months of completion.
- Find details about our graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed the program, and other important information in Iowa State’s Gainful Employment section.
Previous work experience
If you have significant, relevant work or life experiences, you may qualify for Prior Assessed Learning (PAL) credit for portions of the internship.