There are three parts to the ISU DI application. You must successfully complete all three parts to be considered for the Iowa State University Dietetic Internship.
ISU DI online application
D&D Digital registration
ISU DI online application
This must be completed in one session. It is not possible to save your work and continue later.
Everything listed below can be done at the ISU DI registration site.
- Submit the application fee electronically. There is a $75 non-refundable fee for each program selected
- Include your DICAS ID# from the current match cycle.
- Indicate your location selection and be sure this matches with your selection on the DICAS application and in D&D Digital
- Upload any materials that are required by your desired location as noted below (commitment letters, essay, etc.)
- Iowa-based - no additional materials required
- Nationwide - include your completed rotation schedule (see Planning your own schedule) along with a preceptor commitment letter for each preceptor identified in your schedule.
- International - appropriate essay and nationwide materials if needed
Our process generates automatic replies confirming receipt of your materials; therefore, the ISU DI will not reply to any email or phone requests for such verification. In the event you are not selected for entrance in this internship program, application materials will not be returned. Note: If you have significant work experience, you may qualify for Prior Assessed Learning (PAL).
- Record your DICAS ID# for use with Part One - ISU DI online application.
- Complete the DICAS Application. Be sure to follow directions closely.
- We do not require any supplemental materials for DICAS.
- Be sure your location selection for the DICAS application matches with your selection on the ISU DI application and in D&D digital.
D&D Digital Online Dietetics Internship Matching Service
- Register with D&D Digital Computer Matching.
- Be sure your location selection for D&D Digital matches with your selection on the DICAS and ISU DI application.
- Use the following codes. Remember that the November match class starts in January and the April match class starts in June.
November Match Codes
April Match Codes
|Iowa-based location with international rotation||572||136|
|Nationwide location with international rotation||573||135|
Application review process
The ISU DI review committee will review all qualified, complete applications. Please check to make sure that you have followed all the steps and submitted all the required material.
No face-to-face or phone interviews are conducted with the exception that some applicants for international rotations may be selected for a phone interview.
What we look for in an intern
We look at overall GPA, DPD, GPA, Science GPA, letters of references, representation of personal qualities and skills in a personal letter, and work or volunteer experience with transferable professional skills such as, but not limited to:
- Excellent communication skills with a variety of audiences and formats (instructors, preceptors, peers, clients)
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Ability to perform self-assessment and apply constructive feedback
- Self-motivation and follow-through
- Flexibility and adaptable to changing circumstances
- Ability to manage stress effectively
- Positive attitude and interpersonal skills
- Computer literacy in online coursework, document sharing, Microsoft Office, and email
- Ability to work independently
The fast pace of this internship requires that the successful intern is one who is 100 percent committed to the internship. The supervised practice and professional project schedule does not leave time for additional work or other commitments.
Sample score sheets
The following review score sheets show the relative importance of each of the application components (shown for demonstration only).
Starting at 6 p.m. CST on Sunday following the DICAS deadline, you can log in to D&D Digital Computer Matching to find out whether you matched to a program. This information will be available through 5 p.m. CST Monday, which is the deadline to accept an internship match. This is the only source of notification for applicants. Each applicant will receive either one match or no match after log in.
If you matched to the ISU DI, you will receive an email from the ISU DI Director with a link to join the Match Day webinar. To accept or decline a position, you must register for this webinar. If you are matched to the ISU DI and unable to attend live, please register for the webinar to receive a recording.
- NOTE: registration for and attendance of the webinar serves as your acceptance to the program.
- You are not required to phone the ISU DI Director to accept the match.
This must be completed or your position will be forfeited. Be prompt to the webinar so you do not miss any crucial information.
Next Match Day Webinar: November 2, 2020 - 10:00 AM CST